Knowsley has confirmed that in October (7, 8 and 9) it will host an immersive outdoor event in Stadt Moers Park. ‘A Thousand Feet Deep’ – by Periplum – will explore the history and spirit of the borough and its people, in a way that visitors will not have imagined.
The 50-minute performance, which will take place on three consecutive evenings, will take visitors on an atmospheric journey exploring Knowsley’s myths and folklore. A unique narrative of the borough will unfold to tell the story of Knowsley’s industries and the people that powered them. The spectacle is part of Knowsley’s celebrations as the Liverpool City Region Borough of Culture and has also received funding from Arts Council England.
Cllr Shelley Powell, Knowsley Council’s Cabinet Member for Communities & Neighbourhoods said:
“We are absolutely thrilled to have secured additional funding from the Arts Council to allow us to bring another amazing event to Knowsley. We have always wanted this year to reflect what makes our borough special and this event will really do that as it explores our heritage as makers and manufacturers and tells our unique story in such a creative and atmospheric way. This is really going to be something incredibly special to see!”
Outdoor theatre makers, Periplum have worked with communities across the borough to gather stories, histories, myths and legends that will be translated into the performance, which will be accompanied by a soundtrack by Barry Han.
It is anticipated that 3,000 people per evening will be able to attend the performance and tickets will be released soon, with Knowsley residents given priority on the first allocation.
YOU could be part of this spectacle…..
As well as entertaining thousands of people each evening, organisers are looking for 22 local people to get more involved and become part of the performance.
You don’t need to be an actor, singer or dancer but just a Knowsley resident with a desire to be part of this amazing experience.
You will work with a team of expert practitioners, who will give you on-site training and workshops in outdoor performance. During the show you will accompany the action, moving through the audience as part of a team, with visual props, fire torches and other pyrotechnic effects.
Anyone interested in volunteering to take part in A Thousand Feet Deep should be aware of the following:
- In addition to participating in the three performances, you will also be required to attend x2 rehearsal evenings at Stadt Moers Park. You must be available to attend ALL of these sessions.
Details and dates below:
5.30pm to 9.30pm – Wednesday 5 October – rehearsal
5.30pm to 10pm – Thursday 6 October – dress rehearsal
6pm to 10pm – Friday 7 October – Performance
6pm to 10pm – Saturday 8 October – Performance
6pm to 10pm – Sunday 9 October – Performance
- Please be advised that the actual performances will all take place outdoors in the dark and in all weathers.
- This is a volunteering opportunity and there will be no payment made to those who participate.
- Due to the nature of the performance, all volunteers need to be over 18 years old.
- You will be required to potentially carry fire and pyrotechnic effects as part of the role. You will be given full safety training by an expert.
- Periplum will provide a costume (Jacket and hat) to wear, but you will need to bring your own clothing to wear underneath – trousers, top and walking shoes (preferably all black). Bring waterproofs for rehearsals (if needed). If you don’t have appropriate black clothing please let us know and we will provide something.
If you would like to apply to take part or have any questions, please contact Jo Dry – email email@example.com (with the subject heading: A Thousand Feet Deep volunteer opportunity)
The deadline for applications is 1 September so get in touch quickly to not miss out!
A Thousand Feet Deep by Periplum is brought to you by Knowsley Borough of Culture with additional funding from Arts Council England.